Wednesday 17 April 2013

Argentina 2013 - The First Post!



Only one week to go until my visit to our Link Diocese in Argentina.  I am looking forward to meeting new and old friends in Argentina, and to deepening the Diocesan and Cathedral links.  It is going to be a busy two weeks and the itinerary includes flying to Mendoza to lead a retreat, some bible studies plus a Sunday service.   The theme will be based on this year’s Lent course -  The Beatitudes, a Blueprint for Discipleship.



 


On my return to Buenos Aires, I am visiting a number of projects, including a social outreach project at the Cathedral and various churches across the city.  I will also be catching up with an old acquaintance, Agustine Marsal in the parish of The Good Shepherd Devoto.  I shall then be travelling to Lomas de Zamora to address the Synod. 
 



The topic for the address to Synod is how the Church can witness in a pluralist society, which is something that is beginning to impact on the Church in Argentina.  I will be speaking about Britain as a pluralistic society, about religious pluralism andpost religious society and how we – as a diocese – are responding to this.

One of the key purposes of the link is that we learn from each other and, whilst addressing Synod on this issue, I am also looking forward to hearing how they are responding.   It is important that we use these links as a mutual, theological and practical learning experience, as well as fellowship.

I have no doubt that I will be asked how we in Britain view the debate between Argentina and the Falkland Islands – though in light of my previous experience, it is likely that this is a mainly political and financial agenda that does not impact on the daily lives of local people.  Nonetheless, it is an important factor and politically sensitive which needs to be reflected on maturely alongside other key political and financial issues they face.

As you may be aware, Argentina recently suffered from terrible floods, leaving around 25 dead in La Plata and a number more in Greater Buenos Aires.   So before I depart, I ask you to remember those lost in your prayers.

Once in Argentina, I will refresh the blog as the opportunity arises, and in the meanwhile your thoughts and prayers will be very much appreciated.

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment