Friday 19 April 2013


I last visited Argentina shortly after the economic crisis of 1999-2002 which witnessed a major down turn in the economy.  Many will remember the images of people being unable to access savings from the banks; there was widespread unemployment, riots and the rise of alternative currencies.  Eventually it led to the downfall of the government.

During the visit I stayed with a couple who had been severely affected by this.  They lost their business and were struggling to make ends meet or pay the mortgage.  The poor became increasingly poor and the marginalised even more so.  However, I was impressed by the generosity of my hosts who gave 10% of their income each week to the church, partly towards church funds and partly to provide food for those in greatest need.  They also gave food parcels to those who called at their door in the evenings looking for enough to see them through the next day.

They were, in some respects, as much in need of what they gave away as those who called.  When I asked them why they did this they said it was because God still gave them more than they gave to him.  Many say this but I suspect few really practice such sacrificial giving and therein lay’s an example of generosity and graciousness which is what God has shown us on many occasions.

It would seem that today’s government is edging towards a crisis and there has today been rioting in the streets of Buenos Aires as tens of thousands of people protested against the government.  This time the crisis has been sparked by proposals to reform the judiciary but there are financial concerns about inflation and crime.  There have even been calls from some for President Kirchner to resign.

Once again the country stands on the edge of uncertainty and crisis but from my experience I know that the people of Argentina are resilient and confident in God.  I hope and pray that the present crisis will not get worse and trust that the people of Sheffield, the link diocese, will hold Argentina in prayer.

I am sure I will learn more next week and I will keep you posted with developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment